3.11.2012

Our House

So we've had a little time to settle a bit more. It's not perfect around here, not yet. And, if I'm honest, it will probably never be perfect, because I'm in charge of unpacking. And I tend to make piles rather than find homes for absolutely everything. But! At this point, my ugly spaces are confined to the upstairs. I don't yet know what to do with the space across from our washing machine and dryer. The best use of it is as a storage spot for towels and linens and diapers, but it just looks so messy no matter what I do to it. Ah well. I'll figure it out soon enough. Probably in time to move again. Here are some areas that are at least passable. We are really beginning to love our little home!

Each time Nate is gone, I have a goal in mind for another area to tackle, another few boxes to unpack. This round (he's on trip four currently) my goal is to  have the garage organized. The empty, broken down boxes were beginning to creep up to the door into our living room. We had gorgeous weather on Thursday so I spent some time shifting everything around. It looks so much better! I need to spend probably another hour or two in there this next week to finish it up. By the time I'm done, I'll have my car parked in there, which will be so wonderful. Except my car is not running right now (no idea why), so I've been dragging my heels (yeah right) and driving us around in Nate's truck. So when he gets home, I'll have the truck parked in the garage. Then he'll be really amazed that I fit it in there! My plan is rock solid.

This picture here is the only one I'll write about (as the others seem pretty self-explanatory). It's the girls' room. (So. very. yellow. Even the ceiling.)

I have a plan, although I'm not sure exactly how I'll execute it, to paint their ceiling white. And maybe two of their walls. The yellow is overwhelming. They don't mind too much, obviously.

Their room is coming together quite well! I don't really put anything on their dresser - Hazel stacks books there that she wants to read during nap-time. I came across a ceiling fan in the garage so I think I'll assemble it and ask Nate to install it in their room for the time being. Even with a window and a floor fan, their room gets super stuffy. It's the hottest room in the house during Summer and Fall.

Spring is almost here! Just a few more days. Nate experiences some weather confusion every time he comes home from a trip. His first three trips were to Florida. In January. When he'd get home, it'd be freezing here, or snowing, or threatening to snow. He never even unpacked his suitcase during those weeks home - it was all shorts and sandals! The bum! He's currently in Arizona, back to a warmer climate. It's nice that we're facing only an hour's time difference rather than three. He'll be home in 11 days but who's counting.



No comments: