9.23.2007

Magone 2007

This was the third year Nate and I tagged along to Magone. And once more it was highly enjoyable!

A few pictures...

Rameus took up his usual camping position: In a chair by the fire wrapped up in a blanket.



Mom shot a bird (the only killing we did; Nate was too kind to the fish so he let go what he caught), so this picture is of Dad taking a picture of Mom and the bird. I laugh every time I look at this one!



Nate and I at the top of Lake Butte. Magone lake is far to our left, not at all in the picture, but, if you had been there with us, you could have seen the lake :) The weather warmed up during the day, so we were able to pare down to long-sleeved clothing items, but at night, it was oh-so-cold! The tent flap zipper broke on our tent, so we slept with just the mesh closed. Good times :)



Susanville is one of our favorite stops while at Magone. Two years ago we went through the little leftover buildings, Mom, Dad, & Nate climbed through a deserted mine while I sat in the car keeping guard, and then we drove down toward the creek to have lunch and do some shooting. This year, when we turned on the road toward Susanville, we began to see signs for no trespassing. But the road belonged to the National Forest, so we kept going. We got to the mine and the whole thing was barred off; and I had even been willing to venture inside this time! (Lucky break for me the mine was closed.) As we drove along further, we actually passed between two no trespassing signs posted right on the either side of the road. This was just after passing a "You're now leaving Malheur National Forest" sign...We figured it was for real. So we went back to the flat spot by the creek, ate lunch, and then packed out. We had to find another deserted road to do some shooting. So this picture is taken of the truck's hitch with our reflection in Susanville. That was probably the last time we'll ever get to see the abandoned buildings and the effects of hydro mining! So sad...



I just thought that this was a pretty picture of Dakota. She never sits still long enough for me to get good shots, so this was a pleasant surprise.



This is what I usually get from her:



Dad and Mom brought some super burning wood from home, but we powered through it very quickly, so Dad and Nate found some rounds to chop up at the campsite. They picked them up at other, empty sites and brought them over to ours. Then they rolled them up a small hill to a flat spot to take the wedge and axe to them.



Dad chopping...



Nate chopping...



I have the best picture of Nate from when he was done chopping. He's all sprawled out in one of the camp chairs, looking completely spent. I couldn't put it here because it's sideways and I'm lazy :) I'm working on what feels like a thousands posts right now, so bear with me as I trudge my way through the past few weeks. Lots and lots of posts to catch up on...

Our love to you all!

No comments: